JOB Advert Programmes Admin
UGANDA TEXTBOOK ACADEMIC AND NON-FICTION AUTHORS ASSOCIATION (UTANA), P. O. Box 40277, Kampala.
Located: Teachers House, Plot 28/30
Bombo Road, Kampala-Uganda, Office 208.
POST: PROGRAMMES ADMINISTRATOR
Uganda Textbook Academic and Non-Fiction Authors Association (UTANA) is a not- for-profit organisation—“A member-driven Association upholding and enhancing the profile, status, rights and needs of academic and non-fiction authors in Uganda”, which started its operations in May 2013. The mission of UTANA is “To promote the rights of academic and non-fiction authors through advocating for the recognition of their works and protection of their rights, products and services in collaboration and cooperation with all stakeholders in the book value chain”. UTANA is governed by the General Assembly and Executive Board with the Chairman as Executive Head of the Association. In execution of its goals, UTANA manages its projects, programmes and investments through the Secretariat responsible for the day to day operations of its business. In a bid to meet its objectives, UTANA is sourcing for the services of a Programmes Administrator to oversee the activities and functions of UTANA Secretariat.
Job Title: Programmes Administrator
The Programmes Administrator is responsible for overseeing the administration of programmes and activities of the Association. Such person should demonstrate capacity of raising funds, initiate and carry on projects and ensure sustainability of UTANA especially while taking advantage of strategic alliances. He/she shall be responsible for running the organisation, preparing for fora, committees and board meetings, and promotion of UTANA activities. This is a career development position with chances of higher designations & promotions based on performance. The position reports directly to the Chairperson, Executive Board.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification from a recognised University or institution
- Demonstrated skills and competences in any business-related areas, including but not limited to planning & management, marketing or business administration and ICTs will be an added advantage.
- Experience of using social media to support organization’s objectives and develop and manage virtual communities
- Knowledgeable in socio- entrepreneurship and income generating projects,
- Demonstrated communication skills (oral and written) and technical writing competences
- Ability of to link civil society mission to that of donors, partners, national and overall community development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities include:
- Identify and/perform UTANA activities, programmes and the operations as approved by the Executive Board.
- Organise and work with the Executive Board and its working committees to develop and implement the strategic plan, operational plans, policies, and statutes such as media policy, investment policy, social welfare policy etc. to guide the operations of the oragnisation.
- Identify potential members, recruit, register and profile authors information and publications
- Identify, develop and strengthen external networks, development partners, and stakeholders for investment, linkages and research and development opportunities and potentials into the Association in UTANA programmes
- Support profile-raising of the Association’s image, (activities and services) making it more active on social media, mainstream media, and other platforms, including sector and business events, professionals, and partner organizations
- Engage in/identify funding opportunities & source for funding and financial resources necessary to support the Association’s mission and objectives.
- Oversee and manage the UTANA’s investment interest in the members’ writers-authors investment Club to implement the short, medium & long term strategies to realise its dream of establishing the Writers-Authors house in Uganda.
- Ensure effective internal and external communication as authorised by the Executive Board.
- Engage in marketing and promotion activities of the academic and non-fiction authorship products and services on behalf of authors
Skills and Competencies
- The ability to motivate and enthuse others;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team from diverse backgrounds;
- Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate to a variety of audiences, including business and civic leaders, social innovators, authors, students, graduates and academics;
- Management competences in fundable project proposal writing and support collaborative projects
- Strong financial skills and numerical analysis with the ability to produce credible effective data or reports and discuss details with confidence;
- An understanding of the needs of authors, investors, students, academic staff and institutions,
- Strong analytical abilities well developed critical thinking skills and the ability to develop these in others;
- A respect for the skills and knowledge of all communities involved in developing authorship innovation processes including academics, businesses, social enterprises, end user communities and the government agencies;
- Ability to plan own work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Three- years of social enterprise development or non-profit management related work experience;
- Proven ability to work in a joint collaborative approach to income generation and/or research and development programme involving a range of internal teams, individuals and networks.
- Significant leadership experience in a business or social enterprise
- Innovative and a self-starter who uses his or her imagination, creativity and initiative to the development and implementation of projects/funding proposals, nurture and develop creative thinking in others.
- Transparence and high integrity leadership
- Demonstrated ability of working under minimum supervision
Salary/Payment: The Salary shall be negotiable based on the Business plan presented by the applicant, demonstrating competences in operations of the Association’s programmes, ability to raise funds and sustaining the Association.
Mode of Application
Interested applicants are required to submit their expression of interest with a motivation letter to, [email protected], together with Curriculum Vitae and testimonials indicate two referees (including active telephone and email) not later than 23rd April 2021. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to present a business plan, which shall work as a basis of selection for the Job and engagement.
Prof. Elisam Magara
Chairman, UTANA, +256-706495592, [email protected]